Official Showcase Information
The submission process for 2017 Official Showcases will open about April 1st. Details will be posted here in early March. THE OFFICIAL SHOWCASE ARTISTS & LINEUP FOR 2017 will be announced here in summer 2017
We want to thank and acknowledge the 115 (!!) artists that submitted for an Official Showcase in 2016. We hope to see ALL of you at the 2017 FARM conference and hope you will submit again for an Official Showcase (unless you were given one in 2015 or 2016)! And thanks to The Listening Room Network for providing the on line system used by our submitters and judges.
And last, but far from least, a big hand for Lee Herman, our Official Showcase Coordinator. We couldn't do it without him!
We’re looking forward to another year of spectacular Official Showcases in October! If you haven’t registered for the conference yet, do so now HERE! See you at FARM!
Judges:Our esteemed 2017 judges will be listed here after the artists are confirmed.
Here are details on how last year's process worked (so you'll know what to expect come April 2017):
2017 Submissions will follow the same process, and SIMILAR TIMING as year's past.
In 2016, submissions were accepted April 1st until May 31st. Official Showcase Artists were privately notified July 1st, and the public announcement was July 15th. (this was the intended timing, and will be in the future - in 2016 we experienced a two week delay).
Split between Friday and Saturday evenings, FARM 2016 featured 14 Official Showcase Artists. There is only one Official Showcase happening at a time, and there are no other conference events during the Official Showcase time. In other words, all eyes will be on YOU when you perform!
MANY thanks to Lee Herman of Windy City House Concerts for coordinating the Official Showcases, to Fran Snyder, Jeff Robertson and their staff at Listening Room Network for operating and supporting the process with their online system for judging artist submissions, and especially to our judges for all the time and listening they put into the process.Submission fee was $15. We received positive feedback from past artists and judges about the use of live video for evaluation. This approach worked so well that we feel we can ask artists to submit two (2) song submissions instead of three. The best video submissions simply present you in front of the camera, preferably in front of an audience. Song videos submitted must be in the same act configuration that you plan to use at the FARM Showcase if selected. So if you plan on performing solo, please do not send a link to a recording of you with a band or backup musicians. A professional video is not needed, but be sure the sound quality is good - it will be hard to evaluate you if we can't hear you! For additional information, the complete set of requirements, and the online submission and payment forms, please check our showcase submission website (will be available about April 1, 2017) We look forward to hearing from all of you. Submissions were accepted starting April 1st (no foolin'!) Please note that if you showcased at the 2015 or 2016 FARM Conferences, you are not eligible to showcase in 2017. We ask that each artist submit two live links:
- Links must go to a web page that automatically loads a live performance of a single song in its entirety. Example: http://youtu.be/vWwgrjjIMXA
- Links do not need to be accessible to the public but they must be available from submission through the date of notification.
- Judges will be instructed to do the best they can with what is provided by you, but they will not be encouraged to struggle with links that don't work or songs that are embedded in a playlist.
- After submitting your application, you'll be able to test your links.
- Official Showcase Artists are expected to attend most, if not all, of the conference. You are a BIG DEAL to us, and we want you to be present and part of our community! We will ask you to commit to attending and participating in at least two full days of the 2017 conference.
- All showcase entries must be submitted online. No-mail in or CD submissions will be accepted.
- A $15 showcase submission fee will be due with the submission of your showcase entries. Payments may be made using PayPal or by check.
- Selected artists pay an additional $20 showcase fee due upon notification of selection.
- Showcases take place on Friday and Saturday evenings. Make sure you are able to attend the conference on BOTH of those dates before submitting.
- Two to four alternate artists will be chosen in the event a selected showcase artist(s) is unable to attend the conference.
- Selected artists will be notified about July 1st.
- Selected artists and all band members / backup musicians MUST be registered for the full conference. No exceptions.
- Selected artists must be a member of Folk Alliance, If you are not a member you can join at http://folk.org
- By submitting and being selected for a showcase, you agree that FARM may use your photo and video and songs in advertising for the conference.
- Selected artists will be asked to submit an MP3 of one of their songs to FARM, which will be used to populate a Sound Cloud playlist on our website, and used via AirPlay Direct (APD) for promotional purposes.
- By submitting showcase entries you indicate your understanding and agreement to the terms listed above.