Volunteering at FARM
Volunteers are the life-blood of FARM; our conference couldn’t happen without them. We use over 200 hours of volunteer time during the conference itself, not to mention all the hours that people put in leading up to the conference. Volunteers are needed from 9 am until 2 am most days that we are in Iowa City, and they help with almost every event scheduled, in one capacity or another.
If you are willing to support your conference by volunteering, we are happy to reduce your registration cost. In return for your help, if you are able to volunteer for 4 hours, you’ll receive a 50% discount on your registration; 8 hours will garner you a 100% discount on registration. At either level, you’ll also receive the thanks of a grateful FARM nation!
If you’re interested in volunteering, please read through our NEW procedures below to sign up. NOTE that the process has changed for 2017. We think you’ll like it better.
A special word for returning volunteers: So glad you’re thinking of helping out again! Many thanks for your help in past years. We’ve made some changes in how we are handling the volunteer process. Please read through the procedures below. The biggest change is that we are giving volunteers a discount up front on their registration fees, rather than giving refunds after the conference. In order to do this, we are asking folks to submit an application (even if you’ve volunteered before). Please email Cindy Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or concerns about the changes.
The new volunteer process has 4 steps:
- Step 1. You must send an email to the Volunteer Coordinator, Cindy Morgan (email@example.com), and answer the questions listed below as “Application Questions” (just cut & paste the questions into your email along with your answers). Your email to Cindy will serve as your application to volunteer.
- Step 2. Cindy will email a response back to you within two weeks. If you are approved to volunteer, she will explain the process to use when you register which will tell the system to calculate your discount. Do note, that a commitment by you to volunteer for 4 hours will entitle you to 50% off your registration fee; while volunteering for 8 hours will entitle you to FREE registration.
- Step 3. Register using the process described in your confirmation email from Cindy. If your plans change, or if you somehow are unable to volunteer for your shifts, please let her know ASAP, (firstname.lastname@example.org) so she can find a substitute.
- Step 4. Shortly before FARM, Cindy will email you your volunteer assignment details. The last step is to show up for your shifts during the FARM Conference! Be sure to sign in at the registration table at the beginning of each volunteer shift (this is how you get credit for your work).
Please understand that by reducing your registration cost up front, we are trusting you to fulfill your volunteer commitment to this very important event. If for some reason you do not work your hours, you will be billed after the conference for the amount of your registration that was discounted. And, Champ won’t be your friend any more.
If you have any questions, or need more information about volunteering at FARM, please email Cindy Morgan (email@example.com) & she’ll do her best to entice you to join our merry band!
VOLUNTEER APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
Basic Info: Arrival date & time. Departure date & time
Question 1: Do you want to volunteer for 4 hours or for 8 hours?
Question 2: How can we reach you while you are at FARM (cell phone number preferred, email address acceptable)?
Question 3: What types of volunteer tasks are you willing to do? Please indicate your top 3 choices from the following list:
tote bag stuffing
door monitor (showcases, performance lanes, keynote speech, etc.)
meal door checker
CD sales (for showcases)
stage assistant / gofer (for keynote/showcases)
hall monitor (for private showcases)
Question 4: At FARM, we have volunteers shifts on Wednesday from 6 pm-9 pm; Thursday/Friday/Saturday, between 9am and 2 am the following day; Sunday, between 10 am to 7 pm. Please indicate any times YOU ARE UNAVAILABLE for each of the following days:
Thursday 10 am- 2 am
Friday 9 am- 2 am
Saturday 9 am – 2 am
Sunday, 10 am – 7 pm
Beyond the Conference
Please contact us if you have skills you believe might be helpful to our organization.
The more of us who put our energy and ideas into the organization, the more useful FARM will be to folk music and dance in the Midwest and those of us that perform and manage. Much of the organizational process of FARM is accomplished over the internet between the Annual FARM Conferences.
If you can you answer these questions, it will help us immensely:
- Is there a venue in your area that should know about Folk Alliance and FARM?
- Is there a conference hotel in your area that would be a good location for a future gathering?
- Would you like to help plan future Gatherings?
- Is there a workshop you would love to see?